leading with QUESTIONS
Thursday, January 20, 2005
 
the power of story
I have been really focused in the inate power of story this week. To speak of life and our experiences and the experiences of all humans for that matter in terms of story is refreshing. Story is helpful in that is translates up and down and through the middle. We can speak of story in terms of the large metanarritives that man people subscibe to, we can speak of story in terms of the story of this or that local community or tribe, and we can speak of story in terms of the small scale story of our individual lives. Identifying the story I am living for seems helpful. What is my story? What is my tribe/comunity's story? What is "our" story / or the story of the larger global community? Am I living the story that I have been given? Am I living the story that I want to be living? Am I locating my "small" story in the right "larger" story? What are the competing larger stories? Which is worth living for? What are the competing local stories that I should not live in? Do I know my story? Do I know where I have been? Where I am? Where I am going?

Follow this link to an interesting story about story and how it saved people in Indonesia. This article in the BBC is really amazing as it highligts the story of a community that at the right time became useful and saved many.

Comments: Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger