leading with QUESTIONS
Thursday, December 16, 2004
 
Enjoying Walter Brueggemann
Awe...hope today...in the form of helpful thoughts by Walter Brueggemann. He says about Genesis' proclamation: "The news is that God and God's creation are bound in a relation that is assured but at the same time is delicate and precarious." Oh...that's spacious...and realistic...and at the same time optimistic.

I feel better. That may sound strange, but it is true. WB moves in new directions for me that help me recover my Bible. There is a desire deep within me to know God through the sacred text, but so often that desire is dispelled by layers of gridlines that I have attempted to build my understanding with. These so often fail me today...and leave me hanging, confused, cynical, and at worst uninterested in opening my bible. These layers have been informed over the years by my evangelical community only - and therein might lie the problem? No matter- the metaphor of a dark pathway through a dense forest in the middle of the night comes in handy. And then I see a dim light...and it offers hope and for a moment calls me forward to take a few steps further...and farther down the road of knowing God. Not that I haven't been moving along...for that is happening through thick blackness, but the light, ever so barely there, it there...and for a moment I trust in his goodness.

Comments: Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger