leading with QUESTIONS
Monday, November 01, 2004
 
inspired by an artist
I have recently discovered the life/work of William Congdon. I am totally captured by this man and what he has left behind. Below are some of his words toward the end of his life. I am so very grateful today for the left brained people who call us deeply toward the Imanent One who stands strongly veiled behind history and creation....here are Congdon own words:

"I started painting again a month ago. I hadn’t been for four months [...] it was very painful! Then someone brought me some photographs of Venezuela, of the coastline. Such beautiful photos! That moved me, it motivated me to paint, starting from what the photo revealed — a ship that was abandoned on the Venezuela coast for forty years.. And if someone asks me "why an abandoned ship?" I say "I always paint what I am - not what I see, but what I am." If I have painted 14 pictures of the ship, it means that an abandonment of the ship is in me. I am the abandoned ship[...] "abandoned" means the extreme, the ultimate company. It is not the lack of company[...] It’s the ultimate company. There is no better company than that of the so-called abandonment. Because abandonment means to abandon oneself and all that is comfortable and convenient. I have abandoned since the first day I picked up the colors to paint. That was the beginning of my abandonment, of my company, of my true company. Because God so disposed. Because the ultimate company, what accompanies the abandonment is Christ. The extreme company, the ultimate company, the total company is Him; painting is the expression of this extreme company."

(From http://www.congdon.it/wca/hislife.html )

Comments: Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger