leading with QUESTIONS
Monday, September 20, 2004
 
DW as salvaging sage
Dallas Willard is such a sage. I was re-reading pieces from his Spirit of the Disciplines. there is so much here I want hold up and agree on with others together and then go live out...here's a couple of his many great thoughts:

Multitudes are now turnig to Christ in all parts of the world. How unbearably tragic it would be, though, if the millinons of Asia, South America and Africa were led to believe that the best we can hofe for from The Way of Christ is the level of Christianity visible in Europe and America today, a level that has left us tottering on the edge of world destruction. The world can no longer be left to mere diplomats, politicians, and business leaders. They have done the best they could, no doubt. But this is an age for spiritual heroes--a time for men and women to be heroic in faith and in spiritual character and power. (from the preface, p. xii)

Faith today is treated as something that only should make us different, not that acutally does or can make us different. In reality we vainly struggle against the evils of this world, waiting to die ang go to heaven. (preface, p. x, emphasis his)

How often I have sensed this in my gut looking at my evangelical world, to the point of defeat I have felt it. I thank God for people like Dallas Willard, and many others who are helping us zoom out and move on. I swear this has kept me from comitting spiritual suicide or something like it. If these quotes leave you wondering about context and answers go find your copy and read it.



Comments: Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger