leading with QUESTIONS
Wednesday, April 28, 2004
 
painting from the pulpit
Preaching, speaking, talking, sharing, giving "the message" - all of these describe that evangelical "high" act of communicating from the pulpit. I have been thinking alot lately about how strange this thing is. This is probably because I have to do it. Not all the time. But more like once or twice every two months.

This kind of speaking has become my mode of art. Not as much by choice as by duty(job description). That's the only way I can do it. This is what the canvas looks like:
The time frame - between 30 -45 minutes
The medium - me, voice, guestures, words and the visual screen behind me, other audio
Tools - Bible, life experience, relationships, other's art work and pop culture

When creating messages I have nothing if I am not deeply inspired. So I search the scriptures stories for something new -- like chasing rabits or something...so I search my heart and feel the pulse of the world around me...so I think through what life might be like for those I am "speaking to". So I start painting with metaphors trying distill something of value to those who are listening...so then something emerges...not what I thought it would be when I started...but not worth discarding...

What a strange art form...I am due again at the beginning of June to paint something for everyone...to ask a good question and let people discover deep answers...

Comments: Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger