leading with QUESTIONS
Thursday, April 22, 2004
 
a conversational post
Here is a window into a conversation with a friend (another CMA missionary candidate).
The following is some of my reply:

You asked "what you think we should do when our grip on... the modern-era designed church loosens"?

I can only speak from my experience and what I sense God doing in my own life. It really been something like an awakening. God has called my bluff. He has invited me out into real life, out from behind the church safety zone, out to be in the world. For me that means letting go of a lot of "stuff" I once thought was important (way of behaving, attitudes, and other things) to maintaining a good Christian faith. For me the modern/postmodern distinction has to do with a change in how the Christian faith (entirely - not just the church) is expressed today. This challenges me to cut the ropes and be "adrift" in the postmodern world (for a time). Trying to see though the eyes I was born with (the age I was born in) and take off the modern glasses that have been placed on me namely by the evangelical expression of faith I grew up in and now operate in. Mind you I can't do this fully serving where I am at (we're are still in Lacey WA). This challenges me to my core. The safe grid has been erased. I am in the "danger zone" but making subtle discoveries of new found faith as I go. It's weird, at times confusing, other times frustrating, other times fun. There plenty more but for lack of time I will quit here.

Comments: Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger