leading with QUESTIONS
Saturday, November 08, 2003
 
live from Bangkok!
Yes! We're live from Bangkok. I am a bit hung over from traveling but feeling ok. Hanging out here with Duane. WE are in this manky internet cafe that runs 30 baht per hour...It's actually 3pm ...Satuday! That's right. It's warm...90 w/humidity. The city isn't pretty. Looking forward to heading north to Chang Mai on Monday night via sleeper train.

Met a woman named Gargi on the plane to Hong Kong - 14 hours together does alot for making friends. She is maybe in her mid fifties, retired teacher, scientist husband, Hindi (lives in Reno w/family in New Delhi) on her way to India. We talked much about religions and the world today - her perspective was unique. She asked good questions of me and the faith...I asked her questions too...it was..our intelectual discussion got us nowhere basically..but then something happened.

She opened up and asked me if i believed there was a god behind this chaos we find ourselves living in...I began to talk about something like a bigger story that I believed in..and she piped in "It's my mother...why hasn't God taken her? Why is she dragging on like this." Gargi's mother was in her nineties and suffering now for years. She was enroute to see her. I asked her what her mothers name was and wrote it down. I told her I would pray for her and tears began to fall. Grace emerged...so much for the rational argument and thoughtful speculations...

We all have to live this life...and grace is what saves us....

(We got a sneak peak of China and Hong Kong - I am already really looking forward to next week and being there! )

Comments: Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger