leading with QUESTIONS
Thursday, August 14, 2003
 
A conversation with a friend of mine:

"Are we overreacting and therefore losing in the process, how should i say...our message?" It's one I am wondering about too.

Here is one thing though..."offensive styles of evangelism" are not a thing of the past. Just yesterday I was with a friend of mine at a main intersection in Olympia that had been overtaken by a youth group armed with t-shirts bearing holy slogans and signs proclaiming "the gospel". I looked at my postmodern friend Jason and said "man I hate that kind of crap!" - that just wasn't the way to share Christ - too many stereotypes, too much bull. It was absent of concrete love.

The term "christian" has come to mean to many the wrong thing. It should bring to mind pictures of radical love, grace, forgiveness, and much more - for everyone - but we all know it doesn't for most.

This is what I think. I think it is time to proclaim the gospel unapologetically and with words to a postmodern world, yet never absent of authentic relationship and real love. What does that really look like...I am not sure yet but I think God will show us.
I don't know...

Here is one more thought. Jake for me in my life the pendulum of evangelical church has been swung so high up to the right that I feel like to get it to move at all I have to really dive into the other side...does that make sense. Just looking for a more healthy approach to evangelism and hoping to find the center?

Comments: Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger